Chimney Fire Safety Week
Chimney Fire Safety Week is a yearly awareness event to ensure that chimneys are maintained and swept on a regular basis and the correct fuel is always used.
Incorrect use of a stove or any appliance connected to a flue, will result in degradation of the appliance and the flue, as well as invalidating any warranty. However, more importantly, it could cause a fire.
A few simple guidelines to ensure your chimney is safe.
- Always used the correct fuel with a low moisture content – click here to read an article with more details on what sort of fuel to look for.
- Keep any fuel away from a hot appliance.
- Make sure external grills are not blocked.
- Check that there are no blockages at the top of the chimney.
- Never leave an open fire unattended without a spark guard.
- Always use a secure fireguard if children are in the house.
- Get your stove serviced by a HETAS Registered chimney sweep* every year.
- Ensure your smoke alarm is working.
- Fit a carbon monoxide alarm.
Follow these simple steps will mean that the fire is very unlikely and that your appliances and chimney will have a long working life.